16.1.12

Baking: Salted Caramel Tarts

Without wanting to sound like Oprah, baking is my bliss. I would bake every single day if I had a never ending supply of butter and sugar; and I didn't have to work. Awkward. 

One of my resolutions for 2012 was to try out new recipes more. And I've decided to blog about my experiments. So here is the first one - salted caramel tarts. 

I know salted caramel is all the rage these days but there is a reason - it's the BOMB.
If like me you love this salty sweet mix, you will love this recipe. Plus it is easy as pie.... or in this case little tartlets. So here is the recipe so you can get your fix :

Salted Caramel Tarts   adapted from Donna Hay's recipe in Simple Dinners

Ingredients

1 pack Butternut Snap biscuits
Sea salt flakes to serve
1/4 - 1/2 cup Caramel sauce - you can use store bought or make your own, I used this recipe

filling
100g milk chocolate, chopped
100g dark chocolate, chopped
125ml of light pouring cream
Sea salt flakes to serve


How to:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Place the biscuits into a shallow cupcake tin. Bake in oven for 2-3 minutes or until the biscuits start to soften. Press the biscuits into the tin using a tea towel to form a little biscuit shell. Leave to cool, then place on wire rack. Repeat with remaining biscuits. 



2. The chocolate filling is super easy to make - it almost makes itself. In my case it didn't so, I did the following. Place the chopped chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir gently until smooth and glossy. Take the mix off the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool for 20 minutes. Once cool spoon the mix into the shells. I found that each shell took about a teaspoon. 

When all of the shells are filled place them in the fridge to set for about an hour or two. 


3. Once set it is time to add the caramel. Spoon a small amount over each tart. Now this is a little messy and nearly impossible to do neatly but I think the rustic look adds a little charm. 

Sprinkle a little salt over each tart. Don't be concerned if the salt dissolves a little - it will still taste yummy. Place the tarts back in the fridge to allow the caramel to set. 


4. And ta-da! You are ready to feast on your salty and sweet treats. 



Hopefully you guys enjoy the recipe - let me know what you think!